Monday, July 13, 2009

MAD PROPS TO THE GREAT OUTDOORS!!!

The summer months do rock my canine world.  I live in a place where three weeks in the summer are Africa hot!!  Actually, maybe Mississippi hot.  I once spoke with a Hyena from Africa who had some real horror stories about that heat.  We also endure three weeks in the winter that are Northern Minnesota/Southern Canada border cold.  The other 50 weeks of the year, I just thank my lucky stars.  Today is one of those sweet summer days.  Not oppressively hot, nor that humid.  On the "real" humid days, I feel like someone throws a soaking wet wool sweater on me when I walk outside.  My handlers, bless them, keep our house at a cool 62 degrees most of the year.  62 degrees is a great temperature when you have a layer of fur covering your hide.  However, leaving a 62 degree house to walk outside in the 100 degree 90% humidity, is a shock to the system.  I feel sluggish just thinking about it.  

I met a schnauzer from Arizona that told me that dry heat and wet heat were the same.  He said, "hot is hot."  Only a schnauzer from Arizona would come to that conclusion!!  Anybody who has spent anytime in dry heat and wet heat knows that the wet heat is a whole other deal.  The humidity strips your body of energy and you lose water fast.  

Of course this comes full circle to College Football.  My theory is that SEC, Big 12, and Texas teams have better teams because they have to practice on the threshold of Hell in August!!  This toughens the players physically and mentally.  

Lastly, I wanted to comment on the UFC 100.  It is great that Dana White and the UFC are having so much success.  These fighters are the best athletes in the world.  Even Brock Lesnar's behavior won't stop their momentum.  He is actually carrying on the long tradition of fighters who speak before they think.  Do we really need our fighters to be cerebral too?  I want to watch them fight, not have them over for dinner.  Brock Lesnar is an incredible athlete and can apparently make his opponent look like Frankenstein.  That's all I need.  I don't care about the type of drink he prefers, his opinions of other fighters, or what his training regime is like.  I just want him to show up and fight hard.   

I spend most of the year pining for this time of year.  Now that it is here, I want to soak it in and drink the marrow from the bones of summer.   

No comments:

Post a Comment