Tuesday, August 18, 2009

THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT

I have found in my vast travels as a little red dog, that some places I visit are "special."  Its not that they are cleaner, prettier, or even more exciting.  I think that places have a feeling or a vibe.  Years ago, when I travelled to Colonial Williamsburg, I felt a different feeling about that place.  This feeling has lasted with me.  DisneyLand and DisneyWorld have their own vibe.  Another place that definitely has its own vibe is a little known town in Illinois; Nauvoo.  Most people have never heard of Nauvoo.  Most people from Illinois have never heard of Nauvoo.  It sounds like the name of a planet from those Star Wars' movies. 
I am pictured here at a couple of historic spots in Nauvoo.  This town has historic significance, mostly for Mormons.  It was their last resting stop before being chased all the way to Utah.  The town was forgotten for over a hundred years and really was lost in time.  No industry, no growth, nada for over 100 years.  Which was a radical contrast from the bustling burg that existed during Mormon occupancy.  The Mormons built this town into a significant city in Illinois.  Well, they are back and have restored the city to its former self.  It is a trip down the bricked road of history.  

Every time that I visit this forgotten city, I leave with a feeling of Nirvana for days afterward.  I can't explain it, but to say, "you have to experience it for yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment